Sunday, December 14, 2014
Come and enjoy this joyous holiday season with music performed by Vanessa Schukis, mezzo-soprano and pianist who will also perform lesser-known carols on the flute and will invite us all to join in a sing-along. Ms. Schukis teaches voice and is on the faculty of the Powers Music School in Belmont. She has had a multi-faceted career as a character mezzo, actress, choreographer, stage director, vocal coach, educator, and administrator. She has been a soloist/section leader for the historic Old North Church in Boston’s North End for 26 years and a soloist/cantor for 15 years at St. Paul’s church in Wellesley. She continues to perform in theater, opera, and concert engagements throughout the United States. Here in Red Sox Nation, she has sung the National Anthem and “God Bless America” at a Boston Red Sox game. Vanessa has been a member of the guest faculty at the New England Conservatory and a visiting faculty member at the Longy School of Music in Cambridge.
Prior to the musical program, the Belmont Historical Society will recognize and celebrate historic Belmont homes by distributing its bi-annual Historic House plaques. After the musical program the Society will offer for sale the new updated edition of the book The Streets of Belmont and How They Were Named as well as other items associated with the town.
- Free and open to the public
- Sunday, December 14, 2014, 2:00 pm
- Assembly Room, Belmont Public Library
- Refreshments will be served
- January, 2015: No program.
- Wednesday, February 25, 2015, 7:30 – 9:00 pm: Terry Alan Bragg, Historian at McLean Hospital, will speak about the history of this world-famous hospital located in Belmont.
- Wednesday, March 18, 2015, 7:30 – 9:00 pm: Dan Leclerc, retired history teacher, former Belmont Selectman, and former Vice-President of the Belmont Historical Society, will speak about Belmont and World War I.
- Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 7:30 – 9:00 pm: Gerry Wright will present his one-man play honoring the life and work of Frederick Law Olmsted, the father of landscape architecture who designed the grounds of McLean Hospital and Boston’s “Emerald Necklace” among many other famous parks.
- Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 7:00 – 9:00 pm: Viktoria Haase, Belmont Historical Society Curator, will present a special program commemorating the 50th anniversary of the rejuvenation of the Society.
Check this page for more information about each of these programs as the dates approach.