David R. Johnson Preservation Award
The Belmont Historical Society invites community members to nominate projects that have furthered the preservation efforts in Belmont for the David R. Johnson Preservation Award. The next set of awards will be presented at the Belmont Historical Society’s Annual Meeting to be held on May 17, 2017.
Properties throughout the town, not just in the historic districts, are eligible for nomination. The categories for nomination are:
- Private residences
- Commercial properties
- Publicly-owned properties
- Properties owned by non-profit institutions
- Landscape projects
- Preservation of Open Space & Land Conservation
- In addition, nominations for individuals, companies or institutions that have made significant contributions to historic preservation in Belmont will also be considered.
We encourage you to look around your neighborhood and our town for projects worthy of such recognition. Nomination forms for the 2017 awards are now available and can be downloaded here.
Previous Award Winners
Arleyn Levee – Recognition for her service on the Belmont Historic Commission, her efforts to preserve the McLean Hospital land, and her work in the field of landscape preservation.
Viktoria and Jefferson Haase – Recognition of their efforts to preserve the Samuel O. Mead house at 346 Concord Avenue.
Anne and Fred Paulsen – Recognition for their efforts to preserve their home at 90 School Street.
Northland Residential Corporation – Preservation and adaptive reuse of the McLean Hospital Stables, South Cottage, and Upham House.
James N. Levitt – Recognition of his work in chairing the Waverley Trail Advisory Committee and his ongoing efforts to promote the Waverley Trail.
All Saints Church – Preservation of the historic church structure at 69 Common Street.
Peter & Peggy Gunness – Longtime work to preserve the Wellington Cottage and to promote historic preservation in the Town of Belmont. The Gunnesses were also involved in the formation of the first historic district in the town which is today’s Pleasant Street Historic District.
Anne-Marie Lambert – Ongoing work in educating the Belmont community and promoting planning and policies for preservation and environmental quality.
Lydia Phippen Ogilby – Creation of the Richardson Farm Historic District.
Paul & Adam Tocci – Adaptive reuse of 1000 Pleasant Street Automotive Building.
Abderrahim (Abdul) Ouardaoui – Preservation of the Belmont Barber Shop at 470 Trapelo Road.
James Bramante – Preservation of the Studio Cinema at 376 Trapelo Road.
Belmont Woman’s Club – Restoration of the third floor of the 1853 William Flagg Homer House at 661 Pleasant Street.
Habitat Sanctuary – Preservation of Belmont’s historic assets of open land on Belmont Hill.
Thomas K. Blake – Restoration of the 1861 Simon D. Hatch House.
Anne Allen – Preservation of the Atkins-Claflin family greenhouse.
Sandra Curro & Stephen Sala – Restoration of the Underwood greenhouse.
Robert & Susan Kostro – Preservation of the English Cotswold-Style house at 11 Tobey Road.
Steven & Susan Bozkurtian – Restoration of the house at 299 Fitzmaurice Circle.
Judith K.Record Memorial Conservation Fund – Restoration of the Lone Tree Hill stone wall on the former McLean Hospital Land.
The Friends Of The Benton Library – Preservation of the Everett C. Benton Library on the former grounds of the Cushing estate.
The Belmont Land Trust – Preservation of Belmont’s historic assets of open land.
Jeanne & Kevin Krauss – Restoration of English Tudor-Style house at 40 Albert Avenue.
Iris C. Ponte – Preservation of the historic 1845 Henry Frost farmhouse at 307 Pleasant Street.
Belmont Woman’s Club – Donation of a conservation restriction on the historic 1853 William Flagg Homer House at 661 Pleasant Street to the Belmont Land Trust.
Town Of Belmont & Burke Land Company – Preservation of the historic Belmont Center Fire Station.
Desco Associates, Robert Robillard & Addison Van Ness – Preservation of the Cecilia Adams House at 72 Cushing Avenue.
David R. Johnson – Preservation of the historic farmhouse of the Cushing estate at 23 Oak Avenue.
Anne C. Allen – Preservation of land surrounding her home at 580 Concord Avenue.
Belmont Land Trust & Belmont Conservation Commission – Restoration and preservation of the Rock Meadow land.
Town Of Belmont – Adaptive reuse of Fire Department Engine One in Waverley Square.
Lydia Ogilby – Preservation of the historic Richardson farmland as open space.
Sam James – Preservation of the historic Hill house at 388 Pleasant Street.
George M. Packard – Preservation of the house at 26 Tobey Road.
Mr. & Mrs. Robert Scully – Preservation of their house at 30 Somerset Street.
Town Of Belmont – Preservation of the historic Belmont Town Hall and Town Hall Annex.